--- Janice McDonald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> even if a horse can carry 300 pounds, and even if they could carry
> it
> all day without harm, i  KNOW most cannot ride balanced at that
> weight.  I only say "most" because I know if i say "all" someone
> will
> come up with "I had my great uncle roscoe who weighed 450 and rode
> at
> Tevis three years straight on our Mini marec buttercup", never
> fails,

Janice,

I loved this!   So perfect of human behavior....

This thread I am finally getting to.....but I am a heavy rider...Judy
has met me, and I am not a slight thing, never will be....I at this
point weigh 250lbs....I have been up to 320 lbs in my life, and I
will say at 320lbs, it is pretty difficult to get on a horse, I did,
but it was Hard.

Now, I have owned quite a few Icelandics in the past 5 years, and I
have ridden others which I have not owned....

My new gelding is perfect for a big rider like myself.....he has
large cannon bones, wide back, short back but not too short.....about
13-3 hands give or take I have not officially measured him
yet....when I get on he rests a hind leg, there is no motion
downward, He is a tank.

We call him Sherman sometimes because of his wonderful
attributes....(His name is Trausti, sired by a stallion called Svadi
in S. Cal) we also have not found anything that spooks him, we are
trying.  He is at our friends farm right now getting in 30 days of
riding, he is also very green, and I wanted professional work done on
him before I ventured out on him on the trail.....

Now there is a mare who I love to ride, she is Smooooth and fun, but
she has a long back, smaller bones and she just is not as hardy.....I
only ride her on fun short rides, mabye 5 or so miles.....she is not
ours but is at our farm.......

I placed my appy because I my weight.....I bought Icelandics, and the
ones that I have purchased can carry me....not all can.....

Sallys mare used to be ridden by an Icelander who was 6' 7' and
weighed 350lbs....she did it, she is short, stocky, big boned and
willing to do it...Sally now won't even let me ride her...225 lbs is
Sallys weight limit on her now....she is older, 19 years.

The world would be nice if all of us could always qualify our
statements, some Icelandics, or many Icelandics can carry 300
lbs.....but we do not always do that.

Skye

      ~~~~Fire Island Farms~~~~
Breeding Quality Icelandic Trail Horses

             Certified Farrier Services
          'Natural Balance' Shoeing and Trimming.
         Founder, Navicular options for your horse.

                          808-640-6080