knows.  Our Icelandics use a 4 1/2 and a 4 3/4.  A 5" would be too wide for
them.  If you took English lessons, then you know that when the snaffle is
too
wide, it has even more of the nutcracker action that people complain of.

That's right.  You don't want a bit so narrow that it rubs the corners of
the mouth, but if it's too wide, the edges won't be supported by the bars,
and thus the center will tend to poke the roof of the mouth and pinch the
tongue.   I like for the bits to be just barely wide enough not to rub.

I have a couple of Icelandic's that can use 5" bits, but most of mine use
4.5" and 4 3/4" too.  Sina can use a 4 1/4" if necessary.

Karen Thomas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]