Hi Lori:

When we were working with Peppy to get him accustomed to traffic when
we were training him to drive.  We took him on many relaxing walks
along the road where we encountered traffic....and sometimes I brought
Gusti or someone else along.  Always just on a lead rope, no one was
riding.

Long relaxing pleasant walks might help a barn sour horse settle in
with his new neighbourhood and all the sights and sounds and smells
that go with it.

If your arms are tired from holding him back on the way home, would it
be easier to manage from the ground?

There's more than one way to skin a cat...(lordy...I hate that saying)...

Sometimes we set our goals a little too lofty for the day, when the
reality is...tons of good progress was made, and the next day you can
build a little more positive progress onto that.

Seriously, I wish I was there to help you relax and puzzle through
this.  I think you're doing wonderfully well with him as it is
though....

Wanda