--- In IceHorses@yahoogroups.com, Mic Rushen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yes, but that's a result of bad riding/training, not of keeping the
> horse in a dark stable then bringing it out only for the show.
>
> We were talking about the unnatural way the stallion Clout is
probably
> kept, in order to bring about such unnatural animation when he's
> allowed out. This is not the same discussion as the usual poor
> riding/training etc.

Do you really think that Clout is a product of merely keeping him in
a dark stall?  I seen this first hand. Although I have fond memories
of my childhood, taking lessons at the Saddlebred barn and hanging
around there all the time, I do remember what they did to the
horses. All of the Saddlebreds were kept in the barn all the time.
They never let them out to run free. This was mostly to keep them
clean and to prevent them from pulling shoes. We know I am not for
this, I think it makes horses go crazy. Mine are all out 24/7
without shoes. At the Saddlebred barn they would often use wooden
balls on leather straps that go around the horse's legs, or chains,
they let the hooves grow unnaturally long, probably use a bit of a
heavier shoe. I have actually seen someone use a weighted leather
strap on Icelandics to manipulate gaits. This was in CA. They said
they bought it in Germany. It is a little different than the wooden
balls and chains, those are meant to increase action by hitting the
horse above the horse, a form of soring in my mind, and the leather
weighted straps were meant to change the footfall, but the weight
still increased the action. You cannot create a horse like this
through keeping them in a dark stall alone. I would bet that he has
had some sort of devices used on him. The connection to me, and the
reason I think we are talking about this, is that I don't want to
see this kind of thing creep into Icelandics.

I would say in the US, these kinds of devices are widely used. I can
go to any show and see racks of chains, metal balls, wooden balls,
all for increasing action and/ or manipulating gait. It really makes
me sick. I also believe there is a movement for a natural gaited
horse and this is becoming more and more important to people and
hopefully the devices are on their way out. I don't see the
difference between what we are looking at with Icelandics (flash
nosebands?) and other manipulations, none of them are good for the
horses. I like to see more naturally gaited horses who are started
and trained in a relaxed manner giving some freedom to the horse.

I am going to try and do what I can around here. Spotted saddle
horses are apparently becoming very popular. I work with a guy who
has something to do with the shows. I would love to try and get them
to have an all gaited horse trail class and be able to take Snorri
to something like this. I have a feeling that I may be able to get
them to do it, if I take responsibility for it and sponsor it and
everything like that:) It may take a couple of years while I am
waiting for him to grow up though.

Kim