The rider is Laurie Ledbetter.  The woman behind is her mother, Cherie
Briscoe.  Laurie is riding one of Doc's progeny.  Doc was the recently
deceased
Arab stallion Cherie owned and rode for decades.  Laurie rode Doc  as well
before her accident several years ago.  Doc is in the AERC Hall of  Fame.  He
had
some 14,000 plus miles in endurance competition.   Remington and I rode right
next to him for probably 1,000 miles at various  multi-days over the years.  He
was built like a truck, the most substantial  Arab I've ever seen.  I used to
tell Cherie he looked like a cutting horse  with coiled power in every
direction.  Cherie tells me Laurie's horse  is even stronger than Doc.

Cherie is very small.  Laurie is even smaller.  The only adult  rider I know
who is smaller than Laurie is my wife, Marilyn.  From seeing  Laurie right
next to 4' 9 1/2" Marilyn at rides and social events, I would say  Laurie is
4'
10" and maybe 4' 11".  Again from comparison to how she  looks next to
Marilyn, I would estimate Laurie at less than 100 lbs.

The only thing Cherie loves more than her horses is her daughter.   People in
endurance all would agree that no one is more careful with a stallion  than
Cherie.  Laurie was an incredibly talented rider and one very tough  and funny
lady before her accident on an ATV.  She has been trying for  years to rehab
herself and train a horse so she could ride again.  Her  mother wouldn't let
her do it if she didn't think it was safe for both horse and  rider.  Frankly,
trust that tiny Laurie under her mother's  supervision caused less harm to
her big strong horse than some listmembers might  cause to their Icelandics
with
whatever they do.

Those of us who know Laurie were terribly saddened to learn about her
accident when it happened and her struggle since then.  I am absolutely
thrilled to
see the video and see how far Laurie has progressed.  With all  his
accomplishments and recognition, by far the greatest thing Remington ever  did
was
carry and take care of my disabled son for fifty miles on his only  endurance
ride
11 years ago.  I would cut off my right arm for my  son to ride with me
again.  I would have no reservations about  putting him on one of my horses
even
though it might be harder for them.

Sometimes horses do noble things even if it means they bear a greater
burden.  From watching how Remington took care of my son 11 years  ago, I think
they
know it.

Folks, please find something else to snipe about.

John Parke
Solvang, CA