>>Mic do you see any trainers who work with Icelandics who spend time on
>>getting a horse to accept the bit (without using nosebands)?
>
> No, not really. The majority seem to go straight from a
> headcollar/halter to a bridle with snaffle bit and noseband.

Interesting.

>>I can't believe that they all stick the bit in the mouth and then
>>automatically strap the mouth shut on the bit with a noseband.
>
> Most trainers here tend to start out with a Cavesson rather than a
> drop noseband. Is it different there?

Traditional western starts with a bosal, natural horsemanship with a halter.

The bit doesn't come until later (up to two years, or so) for refinement.
Less chance, I think, to get bracey-ness in the horse, or to ruin the
horse's mouth with the bit by using it when he's not ready to understand it.

And it gives the horse time to learn balance under a rider, to work on
suppleness without the interference of a rider, and being micro-managed (did
you read the article about smart / dumb horses?).

Judy
http://icehorses.net
http://clickryder.com