there are breed generalities, but just in my relatively tiny herd each
horse, even of the same breeds, are so incredibly different one to the
other.  In my large rides tho I have developed generalizations over
the years,   but any time I mention them on these lists so many come
swarming out with "but i had one of those and it was the calmest horse
on earth!"  but generally, paso finos and peruvians to me ACT so hot
it would make me nervous personally to ride one.  The ones I have seen
that were well trained were hot, squirrelly, exactly like arabians I
think!  I personally believe, and have seen, and it has been my
experience, that "modern" bloodline walking horses are not good trail
horses, they are too hot and goey for me.  Old foundation walking
horses are the best.  Some people think by old I mean ebony
masterpiece but I mean old OLD like handshaker, mack K, Dement,
mcCurdy.  Gosh I only have two icelandics and they are as different as
nite from day, but one isnt under saddle and it has also been my
experience that you NEVER know from the ground how a horse is gonna
turn out under saddle....  he can be a lazy potatoe on the ground and
a hot wire under saddle...
janice--
yipie tie yie yo