On 9/7/07, Karen Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> That sure was a leap of faith for us - we'd never ordered a
> tractor-trailer
> load of hay before, sight unseen.

I think hay is a problem almost everywhere this year.  I don't have a lot of
space to store hay in my barn.  Probably about 4 ton would be the max in my
hayroom and then it would be hard to get at, so I usually order 20 bales at a
time from a fairly local feed store (1 hour north of here) and paid $15.50 a
bale for the last load of Orchard Grass!!!  As it happened, Gene had just
bought some Oat hay from a local guy and said I should try some for the horses.
 They just loved it, so I called my vet and said was it okay with her to mix
Oat with the grass for my guys and she said fine ( my old guy has Thyroid and
insulin probs...).  Anyway the $15.50 a bale stuff is about 140 lb bales and
the Oat for $5 a bale is less than half that weight, but guess it all evens
out.  You guys pay a lot less, but have smaller bales...  (The farmer we bought
the Oat from said he has lots stored in him barn and just come get more when we
need it.  Yippee!)