On 9/11/07, dawn_atherton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- In IceHorses@yahoogroups.com, "Karen Thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > When the vet sedated him for the floating, she found the first
> clue: there were deep and old ulcers on each side of his mouth, right
> at the inside corners of his lip.  Based on the scarring, she guessed
> that they had been there for many months, maybe longer.
>
> -------------Wow, any idea on what caused them?  If they were on the
> inside corners of his lip, does that mean that a dropped noseband
> could have possibly caused it, or caused him more pain?  And is this
> the same Tivar that Janice now has?

yes, and I've put him in a bit twice and both times he was so snotty
about it, constantly clanking and chewing the rein snaps, flattening
his ears, acting pissy, I finally realized what the heck, he behaves
as well or better in his sidepull.  I know it is a mouth problem and
not a nose problem because altho he will freak out if you try and
clamp a hand down on his muzzle, he wears his sidepull (or halter) in
about the same spot with no issue whatsoever.  So I think he has a
fear of being "held" there, some pain memory surely...  He doesnt like
me running water on his flanks or brushing them but doesnt kick or try
to bite at all, just dances a little.  But when i first get on him if
he is unhappy with the saddle, if the girth is pinching or something
he will turn and reach and jab his nose at my foot, or even a couple
of times, click his teeth at my toe.  Then I get down and readjust.
So he is quick to let you know when he hurts.
Janice
--
yipie tie yie yo