--- Nancy  Sturm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> How do you feed like that Skye?  The black oil sunseeds and beet
> pulp are
> part of what I feed my TWH to keep weight on him.  Our Icelandics
> would
> weigh 1200 lbs with his diet.
>
> Nancy

They do not get a lot of it....Alfalfa has much more protein and
calories than does beet pulp, which is a by product of the sugar
industry, most of the sugar has been taken out and you are left with
the fiber, much like what you are left with after you use a juicer,
we drink the juice and put the fiber out to compost.....the black oil
sunflower seeds are high in Omega 3 oils, and are not rancid, like if
you buy flax seeds.....they get a cup a day of that, it keeps their
coats healthy and shiny...we like to fed a varied diet, not just one
or 2 things.....if horses are kept in a natural environment they eat
varied diets, not just one or 2 things.....so we give them a mix of
stuff...our horses are not fat, they are in good shape with this
diet, but you can not overfeed them no matter what you feed.

Skye

      ~~~~Fire Island Farms~~~~
Breeding Quality Icelandic Trail Horses

             Certified Farrier Services
          'Natural Balance' Shoeing and Trimming.
         Founder, Navicular options for your horse.

                          808-640-6080