>>>the more I let
> him know something bothered me, the more he would do it.
>> It took a couple of years for this one to go
> away by ignoring it and making sure he never heard it again.

The ClickRyder list has been having a discussion about ignoring behaviors.

Here's Tam's original post:

Over the years I believe that the list that Karen Pryor has in her excellent
book, "Don't Shoot the Dog"....titled "The 8 ways of getting rid of Unwanted
behavior" got a bit dumbed down by well meaning teachers attempting to make
the information more accessible to 'beginners'.  Ignore the
Behavior.............is not on the list.  It can be surmised that this is a
euphemism for Extinction.   It is true that part of the extinction process
is to not reinforce the behavior...it is also assumed that the behavior has
a history of reinforcement and extinction bursts can be...chaotic.   Karen
points out that the first four tactics are best left alone........and
extinction is in the first four.

So, is it possible to take a behavior or two and apply the other four (on
paper) to develop a training plan that can be used by all comers?  It is my
experience that this list (when given something to bite into {pun intended})
can produce lively conversation and sound conclusions.

I see mugging and aggressive displays as two very real issues to horse
people.

How would we get rid of either of these unwanted behaviors by applying a
principle from KP's list?

Tam

The 8 ways of Getting Rid of Unwanted Behavior

1. Shoot the dog...........most highly discouraged

2. Punishment...............it can backfire on you

3. Negative Reinforcement.......you should avoid it

4. Extinction...........Takes patience, but it works

5. Train an Incompatible Behavior....effective

6. Put the behavior on cue.......then withhold the cue

7. Shape the Absence of the Behavior....works for everyone

8. Change the Motivation.........a long term solution

Judy
http://icehorses.net
http://clickryder.com