On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 04:07:27PM -0700, Judy Ryder wrote:
> > What are over-reach boots?  Our Gat is very pacey, should she wear those?
>
> The boots are not necessarily used because the horse is pacey, but because
> of the conformation (legs that are not straight), or rider interference
> (causing the horse to lean or they've come to use their bodies that way with
> a rider), so that the legs interfere with one another.

well, or for horses new to a skill.  i have bell boots for stjarni as
he's learning to jump, because if he hurt his coronet bands while he's
trying to transition to barefoot it could be a real disaster for his
feet.  not that he seems to need them -- he tucks his fetlocks -- but i
figure better safe than sorry with a horse facing a new task.

he doesn't interfere, even at hard pace (which he can do) and i think
i've only ever see him wing outwards a bit (which i suspect was the
fault of a poor shoeing job) -- in any case i never saw damage to his
legs i think bell boots would have protected him from on the flat.

--vicka