--- In IceHorses@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>  In round pen training the Icey´s is more sensetivive (ice breed)
where you stand. I had a hard time with my Fafnir in the beginning
as I tended to go to close and then he turned his but up instead of
facing me , I had really to keep my self on the "middle spot"  and
he never did the "join up" thing,following me around. in everything
I do in round pen with Fafnir I have to keep myself on the spot
othervise I´m to close. (know 13 yo)

Here is the thing though. I think Snorri is a typical Icelandic,
middle of the road, not too extreme in any way. He wasn't handled
much for his first two years, just for the farrier, shots, gelding,
maybe some attention here and there. He is pretty reserved with
people. When I got him to my house, he was always turning his butt
to me, it took me a while to get near his head. Of course he was
being medicated and poked at, and was sick of it. It really took a
while to bring him around, and I really didn't push it. Really I
don't mess with him that much. He has learned though, he faces me
now, he does not turn his butt to me, he likes some attention, he is
just not pushy about getting it. I decided to teach him to ground
drive yesterday. I don't have a bunch of different equipment, I just
put the rope halter on, with clip on leather braided western reins
attached and stood behind him, they are just long enough that I can
hold onto them standing right behind his butt. I incorporated
clicker training. I asked him to go forward with me walking behind
by tapping him on the butt with the end of the reins, soft, just
persistant, then I would click and reinforce him for any forward
try. He caught on really quick and I got him to go up and down the
pasture fence and stop good, at mostly just a word. I need to work
on the turning a little. I swear I think the little kids where I
keep him could ride him, he's really easy. I don't think I'm really
going to do that though, the kids break ponies, I might see if I
could talk one of them into getting on him to be lead first next
spring. They are tiny. I don't think it would bother him at all. The
thing is, I think that we can bring these guys around, they are not
necessarily destined to shut us out continually by turning their
butts to us, I do think it is a way to shut us out. I call
it "giving me the butt".

Kim