>From Pat on GaitedHorse about bitless:

I had bit issues with my current horse, Dakota, not gaited. I tried a
couple of bits, but we do not have the vast array of bit types to try
here in Mexico. Everyone said the curb bit used was not severe, but I
just felt reluctance in movement and after about an hour,
headtossing. I had teeth floated and wolf teeth pulled. Always felt I
was doing something wrong. Finally sent him to a trainer, one who is
soft. Even he had some of the same problems. The horse did not want
to work and tried to jump out of the ring. At that time, trainer was
using a snaffle. I still "felt" something was wrong. One day a very
reputable vet was there for another horse and I asked him to check
mine over. Dakota had just come back from a ride in the hills with
the trainer's son.

That's when we discovered a very severe cut on the tongue from the
snaffle and bad handling from the kid. He had to be stitched.

The vet said that he had Trigeminal Neuralgia and said the horse was
dangerous and that I should look for another horse. Said it was
incurable. I, formerly a chiropractor, knew what that was, but didn't
buy into the diagnosis, because I could touch him all over the head
without issue. I went home and after crying my eyes out, hit the
internet and typed in "trigeminal neuralgia in horses". The first
thing that came up pertained exactly to this issue and was a world of
information. Everything that was discussed was what had transpired
with Dakota. It explained how all the different bit types worked. I
spent hours on this site.

The upshot of all this is I ended up ordering a bitless bridle. Since then,
my horse has done just fine and I know that his mouth will never be hurt
again.

My new gaited horse has been using a Tom Thumb bit, but when he
finally gets here and we have spent time together and adjust to one
another, I may even consider going "bitless" with him as well.

Pat