In a message dated 9/27/2007 10:07:56 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I am a  clip girl. I love being able to take the reins
off if needed. That's just  me.

Lorraine,

As I am sure you already know, the presence of clips on your reins is an
important safety feature, too.  Drop your reins or get separated from your
horse
for some reason, horse steps through reins, and you will be glad you have
breakable clips on the ends of the reins.  That's why I like scissors  snaps
the
best.  A really strong yank will straighten the tips and spring  them open.

In a somewhat infamous incident at Bryce Canyon in Utah written up in
Endurance News in 2004, I and several other people were separated from our
horses
when a group of runaways came up a steep single track trail along a  cliffside.
 When I hiked back up to try to find my horse, I was very glad  to find my
reins lying on the trail with the scissors snaps broken.  I knew  Skjoldur at
least wouldn't break his leg or fall off the mountainside after  stepping
through his reins.  He ultimately found his way back through the  maze of
wilderness
trails 25-30 miles back to camp.  He never would have  made it if the reins
hadn't broken off.

John Parke
Solvang, CA