Hi Lorraine,

I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you the day you were
visiting Judy and Sylvia when you were out here in So.
Calif.  Maybe next time.  

I'm having the same trouble with Nanna that you are
having with Dagur about going out alone.  She doesn't
want to go out away from home, but, I've been clicker
training her and I reward her for going forward a few
steps, let her stop for a while and ask her to go
forward again.  It takes alot of time and patience,
but, at least it's not physically tiring for me. I
managed to get her to go a pretty long ways (about 3/4
mile) away from the house the other day.  We stopped
alot and I let her just get used to the surroundings,
then I asked her to go again, clicked and rewarded.  I
click and reward her for turning with slight pressure
on the halter, too.  (I use a sidepull)  It's slow,
but, it seems to be working.  I just thought I'd make
this suggestion to you if you're interested.  

I also saw your posts about Dagur getting ahead of you
when you are leading him. When I first got Nanna (in
July)I also had a problem with her getting ahead of me
when I was leading her, and I used the clicker to help
with that, too.  I clicked and treated her when her
head was in line with my shoulder. If she started to
get ahead of me, I turned sharply to the left and that
brought her head in line with my shoulder again and I
clicked and treated her. She got the idea pretty
quickly, but, she still takes practice every now and
then.

Keep up the good work with Dagur!

Kim


       
____________________________________________________________________________________
Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows. 
Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/?link=list&sid=396545469

Reply via email to