I can see how this relates to how I try to work with my horses, how
it's hard to stop old patterns on my part, to stay in the moment and
try to work with "feel"

"Ordinarily we are swept away by habitual momentum. We don't interrupt
our patterns even slightly. With practice, however, we learn to stay
with a broken heart, with a nameless fear, with the desire for
revenge.... We can bring ourselves back to the spiritual path
countless times every day simply by exercising our willingness to rest
in the uncertainty of the present moment—over and over again."
~Pema Chodron

Kim