On 01/11/2007, Nancy  Sturm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Now tell me again - the majority of you are not blanketing your Icelandics
> except in extreme weather ??  If that's correct, what do you consider
> extreme?

Nancy, we've never blanketed, even during a blizzard this past spring.
 The horses just went for the trees and they were fine.  When it gets
really cold we just feed more and make sure that they have plenty of
water available.  The lower the temps, the more hay is given...

Extreme weather?  -45 C....but that's rare.  -20 is normal during the
dead of winter.

We make sure they have a place to get out of the wind when necessary.
The only time I worry is when it's rained first and they haven't had a
chance to dry before the temperature drops.  When that happens,
usually Kria (the old one) or Peppy (the little one)  need to go in
the barn for a few hours.  But no blankets are used even then.

The only time we do blanket is to wick of moisture after a ride or
driving session...

Wanda