> Let's talk about, and figure out, the mechanics of using a surcingle; the
> positives and negatives, etc.
>
> What does a surcingle do?  > How is it helpful in ground driving?

The reason I use a surcingle while ground driving is  (1) to keep some
of the weight of the reins off of the mouth  (2)  to keep the lines
elevated above the legs of the horse to prevent the horse getting
tangled in the lines (3) to give me a more direct line(therefore,
better communication) from my hands to the bridle (bitless or not) (4)
this will be the "line" of the reins once the horse is in full
harness.

> How is it a hindrance?

If used improperly, it can be used almost as a sidepull and put the
horse in an undesirable headset

Laree in NC
Doppa & Mura
Simon, Sadie and Sam (the "S" gang)

"When you're young and you fall off a horse, you may break something.
When you're my age and you fall off, you splatter" - Roy Rogers