Pam, I did not add any gravel to my compast hill... It does not use up
much land at all. I is about 10 feet around, I usually wheel out my
poop from the barn, that I can not get up on top of the pile... so
when I have the tractor out, I just push it toward the center and pile
it higher if I need too... my horses have played on the poop pile for
years...  I wanted to make another one, but Dan and I did not agree on
where it should go for the winter, so we will start one next spring...
 they do sink down as they age... I just add more compost,

the other pile I have was a mistake that we made in to a good thing...
they brought the wrong stuff, I wanted gravel for spreading in the dry
lot, they brought me road bunk, it is a strange consistancy, not dirt,
not rock, not just lime, more like a clay when wet, mixture of stuff..
anyway, instead of them taking it away, they asked me if I could use
it, I said, I would get rid of it somehow, we just put it in a pile,
well, the horses have LOVED it... They hang out on it..

I personally would not put a hill next to a fence, cause the horses
play on it, run on it dance on it, so they need to be able to get off
of it safely... so I have it a few feet away form the fence... I like
to be able to drive a tractor between the fence and the base of the
hill..

The reason I have the track and hills, is for the horses mental
state.. and exercise... I feel that is as important as having food for
them... Eventually grass grows on the hill too..

I need to get some new batteries for my camera, let me get a few more
pictures of my compost hill It is not as tall as my other hill, it is
only about 4 feet tall, the dirt does not hold as tight as the Road
Bunk one does...

I hope this info helps

-- 
I and my horses love our track system, take a look~~~
http://picasaweb.google.com/dakota.charm/TrackForHorses

Reply via email to