> We have always enjoyed visiting Anneliese in KY - they have heated their
> farmhouse there with wood-only (I think?) for all these years, and nothing is
> more warming after a chilly, damp ride than to sit in front of a wood stove
> with a nice glass of wine, chatting with friends, smelling Anneliese's
> cooking.  The new house they have under construction has a furnace, but still
> has wood fireplaces.

> Karen

Just taking a break from oiling the trim.......

Yes we have two fireplaces in the new house. I need to add, for the benefit
of all those who think that a plain fireplace is a good way to heat the
house, that in order for that to be true, you need the air intake for the
fireplace to come directly from the outside. Otherwise the fireplace takes
warm air out of the room and when it is really cold outside that will cause
a net heat loss to the house.

We also have a wood-burning stove in the basement, again with an outside air
supply. We have so much wood on the property that is would be a sin to not
use it.

OK, back to the salt mines...

Anneliese