We have a friend who recently retired from a long career of teaching jumping
to little girls.  Leslie had a wonderful string of hunter/jumpers, many of
them quite up in years.  I never talked with her about what she actually did
when she retired, but about a year ago she said she would be having the
horses put down because she couldn't guarantee the level of care for that
many elderly horses.

And on that same note, we just bought a very young African Grey parrot and I
have already arranged for her future and plan to leave a small trust for her
care.  She will surely outlivew us both, unless we live to be 110 or so.

Nancy