Here's a couple of notes from 1998 by Ragnar about
fish:

Hello!
About using fish as food for horses in Iceland it is
not common but some
farmers buy salted cutoffs from herring factories and
give the outside going
horses (a barrel they eat as they wish from!). We
think this is very good
for the horses, give them fat and lot of valuable
ingredients and salt which
many horses lack. Fish meal is not common to use as
separate food but it
is used in most or all feed-mixes we use. The quality
of this fish meal
is very variable - for cows and sheeps I have heard
the "low quality" meal
dried in fire burners is good(best) but today the most
used meal is of a lot
higher quality, dried with low temperature so most of
the valuable
ingredients are saved!

As you say salted herring(not red herring!) or
actually it mainly is the
offcut from the herring or capelin salted in barrels
we use widely as food
for sheep and horses! This is specially used for
horses who go outside all
the winter as a food supplement!! I would belive all
kinds of fish was
actual to use, but we seek for the fat fish like
herring and capelin! I
would never risk to give it fresh but as salted it is
limited how much they
can eat! Dried fish is far too expensive - at least
the Icelandic one
(40-50 $/kg!). The horses get a barrel to eat of - and
while we used
tree-barrels they often ate the barrel too!

Regards, Ragnar

Judy