There are a few bloodlines of Fjords that are more energetic, and I think
some people are breeding more for that now that they're jumping, doing
eventing and dressage.  The more we move away from the original use of a
breed, the more diverse the personalities seem to get.  Like the person who
mentioned the old style, mellow, working quarter horses.  There is a much
wider temperament range now that there are bloodlines for racing, halter,
performance, reining , cutting, etc.   Fjords were bred to do farm work,
logging, etc. in hilly, treed areas where the larger drafts wouldn't fit.
These horses often were also ridden and pulled the family wagon into town.
They were bred to be easily handled.  They like to have a job and have a
good work ethic, but never seem over excited about it.  My friend just took
her Fjord to a man who trains them to drive. He harnessed her mare for the
first time, drove her around the pasture a bit then hitched her and my
friend's gelding, who had some drive training a few years ago, together and
off they went!  Mind you, I have a much longer drive training program, but
he got away with it because that is typical of Fjords.

Cherie

IceHorses Community for Photos and Videos:  http://kickapps.com/icehorses

"The greatest enemy of the truth very often is not the lie- deliberate,
contrived and dishonest -- but the myth -- persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic."

"All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed.
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer

[] Lee Ziegler  http://leeziegler.com
[] Liz Graves  http://lizgraves.com
[] Lee's Book  Easy Gaited Horses http://tinyurl.com/7vyjo
[] IceHorses Map  http://www.frappr.com/IceHorses