I've heard about Icelandic horses, I have NEVER heard the story of the barrels
of salted herring promoted as nutritional wisdom until this thread. >

oh yes it´s was very common!

but do we want to play THAT into a modern-day nutritional trend?  Hey, their
diet was even organic!

when it was still enough herrings just for few years ago  8-10 years we did
feed it during winter time as a protein resorse . And hay is still on many
farms organic not on my farm thou.......

 > Horses don't eat fish of their own accord. Let's drop this subject and get
> sensible.
>
> Karen Thomas, NC

 yes they eat salted herring even thou they have enough hay and at a
neighbourfarm they had it out in the pasture beghind the barn for the training
horses during the winter they love it

and fish oil is feed in every stable I think ,we eat it to D-vitamins!!
Regards Malin in iceland