--- Kaaren Jordan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Skye:
With wide swings in alternating wet/dry. The GC's kept loosening up
in the nail holes which we never had problems with in the St. Croix
Lite's etc.

Kaaren

Ok.

Sounds like he did a nice job.  We have been using these for the past
couple of years on many horses in I would say a much more challenging
environment than where you are right now with your horses.  With
trial and error these are the things we have found that work with
these shoes....we have been dedicated to these as we really wanted
our horses barefoot, so this was the next best alternative..

1.  You can put a very thin rolled amount of a 2 part epoxy under the
shoe where the hoof is...you can find this at any hardware store,
they come in little tubes (tubes are about 4 " long) for about $5
bucks a tube.  They have some for wood, metal, poly etc....we
purchase all the colors and use them on the hoof that matches as they
all work all the same.

2.  The farrier must Deep seat the nail in the channel.  Sally does
this by either using a nail set tool, or now she is able to turn her
hammer sideways and hit the nail deep into the shoe, it must seat all
the way down.

3.  When the farrier cuts the nail after driven , you must leave
slightly more nail than with a metal shoe...this is imperative in our
opinion as it works to keep the shoe from wiggling. 2-3 mm in length.

4.  The farrier should put a small groove directly and under the
nails before clinching...this can be done with the side of the
rasp...this helps the clinch seat tighter.  A lot of farrier do this
already, some do not, but it really helps a lot with the polys.  You
also make a small groove in the nail while doing this, it helps the
nail lay flat against the hoof.

5.  The clinch must be clinched straight down and tight.  Sally uses
the GE Easy Clincher...the cadillac of farrier clinchers.  I think if
that clincher was not on the market she would not be a farrier.  It
is a curved jaw clincher and really sets the clinch.

6.  After clinching, then slightly flatten the top of the clinch with
light rasping with the metal side of the rasp.  This helps in some
way that we have not figured out yet.

7.  We fill each nail hole with hoof putty to keep moisture from
coming into the white line.  We actually do this for all of our
horses, poly or steel.  It helps address the white line exposed to
air and wet issue and our horses in our business have healthier feet
because of it.

Now we these extra measures we have successfully used Ground Controls
in the humid rain forest, in the dry desert, in the wet and cold
mountains....in our immediate area where we have 70 inches of rain a
year we use them or eponas and we go from wet to dry all year
round...

When it is wet we use the sole pack from Epona underneath to keep out
the moisture so that thrush does not develop....

Any other questions Kaaren, always feel free to write or you can call
us directly, Sally is always eager to share information.

Skye

   Fire Island Eco-Treks-808-443-6085
   Fire Island Professional Farrier Service-640-6080