considerable and the addition of weights to the distal limb can have a
profound effect on not only the energetics of locomotion, but also the
kinematics-at least in the hind limb.  ....   Potential Relevance: The use
of weighted shoes, intended to increase the animation of the gait, will
increase the metabolic effort of performance horses a disproportionate
amount. The additional mass also increases the joint range of motion and
potentially increases the likelihood of injury.

That's pretty clear, isn't it?  It certainly is the same conclusions that
local vets and farriers in this area seem to have reached here where gaited
horses have always been common.  As I've said before, this was the
prevailing wisdom I heard from reputable vets and farriers almost 20 years
ago when we first got Mac and our other horses.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9:26 PM