The Great Dane that we have now is our 4th.  Each and every one of them has
been a joy to own.  The last one we had knew our every move and what we were
going to do almost before we did.  In the evening when I would be about ready
to start getting ready for bed, he would be sitting at the bedroom door
waiting... and when I would start getting ready to go someplace, before I would
pick up my purse and keys he would go into his kennel and wait.
    Unfortunately, yes, they are a dog with a very short lifespan.  Our last
one was 9 when we had to have him euthanized and THAT is very old for the
breed.  The one before that only made it to 7 years old.  Despite this negative
aspect we are absolutely wild about the breed.   They are indeed loyal, loving
and amazingly gentle dogs.
    The fact that they are intimidating to people that are not aware of their
gentle nature is a plus since this aspect makes for great property security
without the worry of agressive behavior.

  Was there anything specific that you were wondering about regarding them?  I
would be happy to answer any questions if I can...

    Pat G., in MN