me were not being able to sleep when the sun was still up at midnight,
riding in 40 mph sustained winds some days, and lack of privacy on the trail
because there weren't any trees to relieve oneself behind.  Yet I met some
of the most positive most happy seeming people there, and I
really looked forward to returning although i haven't yet.

Somewhere I also read that Iceland has an extremely high per capita
consumption of alcohol...so that may explain part of the "happiness."   I
guess they have to do what they can though to make it through those LONG,
COLD winters.   You know how the network announcer reads some canned speech
about each country during the Olympic opening ceremonies?   During the last
winter Olympic ceremony, the announcer read that Iceland had the highest
percentage of all-night bars and discos of any country in the world ...and
that they had never won an Olympic gold medal in any winter sport.

Karen
Karen Thomas
Wingate, NC

Checked by AVG Free Edition.