--- In IceHorses@yahoogroups.com, "Nancy  Sturm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Does anyone know about side saddles?  "

Hello Nancy,
I finally found my copy of Gaited Horse magazine. Here are some quotes
and resources.
"People who have never tried riding sidesaddle are often amzaed that
riders can do just about anything in a sidesaddle that they can do in a
regular saddle.  This includes jumping, trail riding, and even barrel
racing.  The secret every sidesaddle rider seems to know is that it is
actually a very secure seat.  Hewitt reveals that if she had to deal
with a difficult horse, she would rather be mounted sidesaddle than in
a regular English saddle.  She explains that with the horn and leaping
head which curves over the left thigh, she can grip much more
securely.  She says as long as her saddle is tight (an important
point), she can press her right calf against her left knee, a motion
known as "gaining prescence," and there is virtually no way the horse
will throw her." (p. 35)
Per the author, "the greatest challenge is finding a sidesaddle to
begin with."  Novices should use the newer double horned saddle with a
balance strap, rather than the older single horn type.  Good saddles
will probably be expensive but good, used saddles can be found.

Here are some resources:
www.sidesaddle.org--listing of instructors and representatives
ISSO lending library--provides books on loan
www.sidesaddleinfo.com--NEA Side Saddle Assn.
users.tinyworld.co.uk/sidesaddlelady --Side Saddle Lady
Magazine --Side Saddle International--back issues
www.sidesaddleinternational.com
www.sidesaddelassociation.co.uk--Side Saddle International

Jones, E.  (Summer 2007). "Sidesaddle: A Revival in Horsemanship, The
Gaited Horse

And the best part of the whole thing is you can wear some of those
beautiful, long skirted riding habits.  The following site:
http://www.suitability.com
has some wonderful patterns (none for long-skirted riding habits
unfortunately) for English and western riding apparel, saddle covers,
helmet covers, horse covers, etc.  I bought some patterns with the
intention to make some customized Icelandic saddles pads for
Christmas.  I have had time to make one saddle pad.  It looks good but
I failed to compare it with the saddle and it is too small.  Oh well,
someone's daughter is going to get an unexptected present.

Hope this info helps,
Pamela