All of our gates are hung from pressure treated wood posts.  I had a welder
come & attach a 5" diameter sliding pipe with a handle which securely
inserts into a large hole drilled into the gate post. We also for double
safety had the welder weld a chain  with a snap just long enough to go from
just beneath the bolt to an eye  bolt screwed into the wooden post next to
where the bolt inserts.    Even if the horses happen to slide the bolt, the
gate can not swing more than 3" ...no one can get anything in between the
gate & the post this way.  It's so easy to open, I can do it one handed .

Kaaren