I think that like many bits, it would be only as good as the hands of the
rider.  And she had better have darned quiet hands.  Actually, it would be
an interesting test for all of us.  Could we give direction, ask for
flexion,  a stop,  a canter depart without pulling the bit right out of the
horse's mouth.

I have always loved a D-ring snaffle and I've ridden with one so long that
my hand reactions are pretty subtle and effective.  It's a security blanket
sort of thing.

So years ago, I went out on trail with a very green thorouhbred mare, one of
her first outings away from the riding ring.  The headstall broke and the
bit dropped out of her mouth and I was left with a simple headstall and no
reins for a moment.  Being essentially  lazy, I didn't want to walk home, so
I attached the reins to the headstall, put the bit in my pocekt and rode her
on home.  The interesting thing to me was that she was very little different
bitless than she was with my all-time favorite security blanket bit.  It was
a nice object lesson for me at the time.

Nancy