  and he will stand politely while I open the  gate, walk thru, stand
politely while I close it.  Yet the same horse  will knock me down and
step on my leg when unloading from a trailer at a new house he's never
been to before.  I want to get where we can walk down the road and do
the porcupine game and he will stay in his space and outa mine!

You can get there.  Part of the reason I like the Parelli games is that
it's organized.  Now, granted, I don't apply it the same way to every
one of my horses - in fact, I don't use it at all with some of the
horses who've come here with great manners - I just use what they
already know.   But that organization can help keep both of you focused
the next time you're in a crisis.

 >>> and then confuse him by smacking him if he gets in your space.

You shouldn't need to be rough or aggressive at all.   I'll bet he will
do great...