> http://www.buitenzinnig.nl/
>
> http://www.buitenzinnig.nl/DaviWB/Pagina17.html

Response from Nina of the treelesssaddle list:

>>Nina, please do tell us more about how that saddle felt, especially
if you can how it might be different or comparable to other treeless
models? <<

The saddle is *very* lightweight, the workmanship is excellent. The
seat didn't get in the way at all and felt even better than the seat
of the Sensation English G3.

>>If you didn't decide to buy, why not? How did you find the
underpanels? Workmanship? Anything would be of interest, so if you
could just expand on "interesting" that would be great.<<

What was very interesting about the saddle was the construction of the
stirrup hangers and girth attachment. You can see this in the pics. I
was pleasantly surprised to find that I could not feel this under my
seat, unlike the Sensation and sometimes the Barefoot and Ansur
saddle. I "ride with my thighs" so this was great! It was very smooth
and felt like there was nothing really under me. What I didn't like
were the panels. I couldn't get them not to press down in the front. I
had to place the saddle all the way over the shoulder and that was a
bit better. Still, I couldn't slip my fingers under there when I sat
in the saddle.

Also there was some bridging happening, and to be fair, I didn't play
with the girthing position. My Arabian has very high withers and the
saddle did NOT sit on them at all, and *that* was really amazing.

I used the Ghost with a Haf pad and a Suberpad and the saddle slipped
on both. The pads didn't slip at all, it was just the saddle! That was
funny because it has this Sympanova stuff under the panels. I think it
wouldn't slip if using the Skito or some other pad with some gripping
material on top.

In the end I didn't buy the saddle because it sat perched too high on
the horse for me. It was the panels, and I found that I couldn't get
my legs wrapped around my horse's barrel as I liked. I am buying the
Spirit Deluxe instead. It has no panels, sits closer onto the horse,
and costs a lot less than the Ghost too. Did I mention the workmanship
was excellent? It's better than the Barefoot and Sensation, and
they're pretty good!

I have to say that even with the panels, the saddle was better than
the Sensation, and almost as good as the Barefoot. It beat the Ansur
and the Floki hands down! This was the most comfortable saddle I've
used at a walk. The Barefoot (old model) was better at the trot and
canter/gallop. I think it was because it sat closer on the horse. I am
hoping the Spirit Deluxe will change that for me.

(My understanding about the top arch on all the saddles that have them
is that it's less about stability, more about raising/keeping the
front of saddle off of the withers on high withered horses... that's
what Kaaren Jordan told me when she said that the Sensation Hybrid (or
Western) were the only Sensations really suitable for higher withered
horses. It makes sense, conceptually, that the hooped pommels would do
that. If Ghost's is really cosmetic only, that would be important to
know. I suppose it depends on just how the arch is "footed" onto the
horse's wither/shoulder area. But that many such saddles now have
different pommel widths does mean they are interfacing with the horse
in a structural way, they're not just decoration.)

I honestly can't see how it could keep the front of the saddle off the
withers. The arch is just riveted on like a handle. That's all it is,
as far as I can see. I'm ordering the Spirit Deluxe without the arch
and it's $75 less, btw. If you see the pics on the Dutch website,
you'll see how they are used on high withered horses without any arch
at all.

>>Thanks for anything else you can tell the group about your experience<<

Oh I should say what needs to be changed on either model are the
billets. They are made of thick Biothane and they are quite stiff in
the winter.

All in all, I'm very happy to see a different approach to treeless.
This saddle is definitely an EXCELLENT addition and worth the try. I
should be getting my blue Spirit Deluxe in about 5 weeks. I'm going to
be using this saddle for endurance rides, so I'll keep you posted on
its performance. Any other questions? Please feel free to ask!

If anyone has any questions, they can email me
directly.

Nina
0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0
Nina Hassinger
Natural Hoof Care Provider
www.lostjuly.ca

Reply via email to