the absolute worse train wreck i ever saw on a horse had a kid in one
of these.  in fact, the mother just died, two years after the
accident, leaving a 6 year old youngster and two older kids without a
mom because of it.  I watched her put the little boy in and I was
actually thinking at the time, wow, would be cool to have a seat belt
to keep him on there.  (now I know he could have been killed if he had
been strapped in when the horse ran into the highway) Then the mom
mounted and the mare, her name was diablo, i will never ever name a
horse a mean name because of this, took off bucking.  The mom went and
landed after about the fourth buck and the horse's hoof clipped her in
the back of the head, brain stem actually.  the horse proceeded to
buck all the way down to a major highway and back, launching the kid
midway, he flew thru the air and landed straight up on his feet, a
four year old, and then his head slammed hard into the ground, his
helmet saved him.  She had brain swelling was in ICU, then got out,
recovered but never was able to work, then six months later started
having mini strokes getting more and more disabled with each one.  I
think the kids feet kicking around the flanks caused it.  a helmet
would have most likely saved her.
Janice
--
yipie tie yie yo