--- > That's why I think that maybe when the trot is
> considered important the
> breeding goals may be more challenging - to get the
> balance.  What do others
> think?

Interesting point. Peruvians will trot and canter at
liberty as do other horses but are not allowed to trot
under saddle.  It is said about them that 100% of
foals inherit the gait (to greater or lesser degrees
and abilities) It could be as you say Robyn - that
since one is breeding for the trot and the tolt that
the gene/genes that pass on gait get diluted.

I have also read that any breed of horse can be taught
to rack with various (some non-humane) training
methods.

What are your thoughts?

Maria

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs