Hi Nancy
>>If I needed to blanket, then what blanket manufacture are others liking?

If we have to blanket this is our blanket of choice - we have a fleece
cooler and these blanket really let horses stretch their necks down so there
is no pressure on the withers or shoulder - they act like a wrap around
skirt with elastic straps.  They make all sorts of blankets - called the Hug
system    http://www.blanketnet.com/

>>Tosca has a typically heavy winter coat.  She gets really sweaty and wet
when ridden on trail.  If we did a clip on her, then should we blanket?

Mandy at least trace clips most of the horses she is riding in Modesto.
Sometimes just a strip down the neck and check and sometimes a more complete
trace clip.   She doesn't blanket with a trace clip.  How cold/wet is it
where you are?

Robyn

Icelandic Horse Farm
Robyn Hood & Phil Pretty