> Great list, Judy, very comprehensive!

I agree.

And after you have considered and "fixed" each of those things, you still
could find that rushing hills and obstacles is caused by anxiety and
inexperience.  Because we live at the base of the mountains and all our
trails go either up and down, our horses get lots of practice at coming down
steep trails - some VERY steep.  They seem to handle their first few
experiences based on their temperment.  Tali (nice Arab gelding) really
scared me when I was riding him because he sort of hopped,  skipped  and
bucked downhill.  Now, several years later and with many hills under his
hooves, he's a good downhill horse.  Bev reported that Tosca trembled and
handled her first steep muddy section of trail very badly.  The second time
she went down the same section of trail, she tucked her hind quarters and
slid like an experienced little mountain horse.

If all those other things (saddle fit, bit/no bit, teeth) are in place,
sometimes it takes "tincture of time".

Nancy