Somehow all I can visualize from that description would be some giant
inch-worms sliding along!  How funny! :)

>>> But this got me to wondering what gait elephants actually do.  Hard
>>> pace?

Elephants "lumber" right - whatever that means!?!?  Seriously, I'm not sure.
Our good gait-ally Liz is just back from studying the gaits of elephants in
Thailand.   We should ask her.  I'm pretty sure that camels pace - as does
one of my barn cats.   Cary told me I was gait-obsessed the day I noticed
Carmen the cat pacing - but then, he agreed that she does indeed pace.