>>> Gaedingakeppni rules say it doesn't matter which lead the horse takes.
>>> Which is quite understandable since the horse only needs to show gaits
>>> on a straight track so there is no correct lead (if the competition is
>>> on oval track the horse needs to show gaits on a long side which is also
>>> straight).

That's not sufficient information to me for evaluating a horse for breeding
purpose.  A horse that can't get the correct leads under saddle is not in
balance - he might be in pain or scared, he might not be physically mature,
might be naturally uncoordinated, he might have a stiff or unbalanced rider,
but something isn't right.  If you watch horses in the pasture, healthy
horses will almost always get the "correct" lead, and will freely change
leads when they change directions.  Even newborn foals show appropriate lead
changes, often seen during their first day of life.  If the horse can't get
the "correct" lead under saddle, I'd want to know WHY.   It's a flag to me
that something has been missed or rushed or that he might have a physical
problem.  Sure, most horses seem slightly one-sided and may initially find
one lead easier than the other when they are first learning to balance a
rider, but they usually figure it out very quickly when they are strong
enough and not rushed.  It's not like horses need to be "taught" the correct
leads - they just need to be "allowed" the freedom to do what they do of
their own free will, beginning during their first hours on earth.

The reputable "general purpose" horse trainers in the USA that I know
wouldn't consider a horse even "well started under saddle" until they can
canter comfortably and relaxed, on the correct leads, both directions.  The
"wrong lead" itself doesn't actually worry me so much as it flags me that
something is amiss.  Most 8-10-year-old kids at the local hunter and western
pleasure shows can request and get the correct lead - it's not exactly a
"haute ecole" expectation.  It's just a measure of good, basic horsemanship
and a reaonably relaxed, healthy horse.