On Jan 30, 2008 9:03 PM, Wanda Lauscher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What do you think?

I think that it depends on the horse. ;)

On very balanced horses I grab mane and give them their heads.
Especially strong minded balanced horses, if they're trail savvy then
they know far better how to regain their footing. On young, poorly
balanced, or horses that like to have a little feel I try to maintain
the same level of contact I had before the stumble.

Some horses tend to spook themselves when they stumble, and having a
light contact when they come back up is good, otherwise the situation
can get out of hand quickly.

I personally would rather have a horse that doesn't require a lot of
handholding and can figure out how to take care of themselves.

Steph
--
"Brutality begins where skill ends."
"Correctly understood, work at the lunge line is indispensable for