In a message dated 2/6/08 9:38:57 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> <<John, just once it would be nice if, just once, you could simply and
> directly answer a question without being a wise guy. :) You know, I could
> just as easily make some disparaging, braggart remark to you about me having
> owned horses longer than you have...but I won't. Unlike many
> Icelandic-owners, I count non-Icelandic horse-owning experience as just as
> just as relevant as Icelandic-owning experience. >>

Oh Karen,   you just have a severe allergy to whoever happens to disagree
with   you.   Nothing personal,   I was just gently pointing out that you don't
have the experience people who have been on this list much longer than you have
to make your observation about no "strongly gaited" horses "seriously
competing" in endurance.    Skjoldur himself may not be offended by what you
say,
that is true.   Anyway, I am in complete agreement with you that the general
horse owning experience of others is as valuable or moreso to me at least than
Icelandic experience only.   Please note I deliberately use the word experience
as opposed to mere opinion.

> <<Now, back to Icelandic's and endurance. Here's some direct questions: How
> many Icelandics are currently competing endurance? >>
>

> I would say three or less regularly enter endurance rides.   Half a dozen
> others occasionally do.
>
> <<How many are doing LD?>>

I think about half a dozen.

> <<How many are doing 50's? >>

Three of mine do them.   Lisa Leeper in New Mexico has done some.   Elizabeth
Haug used to do a lot of them on eight different horses but that was twenty
years ago or more.

> <<How many are doing 100's? >>

Two.

> <<How many miles have
> Icelandic's completed, other than your own horses? >>

If you don't count Elisabeth's horses from years ago, I would estimate a few
hundred miles both LD and endurance total for all of the Icelandics besides
mine which have been entered in sanctioned endurance rides.

> <<If you don't know that
> exactly, what other statistics can you provide on the breed in the sport?>>

You can look at the AERC website which has breed specific statistics.

> <<What are some of the best Icelandic completion times - in other words, do
> the horses "compete" or "complete"?>>

I have complete 50 mile rides in a little over five and half hours.   I don't
like to go that fast because it increases the chance of injury and can
interfere with my longevity goals (and fun).    When you contrast compete and
complete, you demonstrate that you simply do not comprehend what the sport is
all
about.   You don't have to ride fast relative to the other horses at an
endurance ride to compete. I have won multiple year end championships and other
awards, including cumulative mileage awards, by coming in last at any given
ride.
Some were based on accumulating points relating to time finished.   The point
is that we do we well by nearly always finishing (a testament to the breed).
I have written about this on this list multiple times.   People with
experience in distance riding understand this very well.   You don't seem to
get it.

> <<As I said, I have two horses here who
> were originally bought with endurance in mind, and neither was suited. >>

You may be right, but I'm not sure you know enough to say.

> <<I've heard of plenty of people who have
> bought Icelandics with endurance in mind, but I never actually hear about
> any success stories, beyond Remington and Skjoldur.>>

Depends on how you define success, doesn't it.   When I hear about a child or
beginning rider completing a 25 mile LD ride or a 15 mile novice ctr ride and
having a great time,   I consider that a wonderful success.   The endurance
ride we are most proud of in my family is when my handicapped son rode a fifty
miler in Nevada over ten years ago.   Success is participating, challenging
yourself, bonding with your horse and enjoying yourself.

> <<I remember you posing a question to the lists a year or so ago, asking
> what
> is keeping people from competing in endurance with their Icelandic's - that
> makes me think that you don't know of many in the sport either...?>>

Well, you don't remember very well, because if you look up my post in the
archives, it specifically EXCLUDED endurance when it asked why more Icelandic
owners don't participate in competitive trail rides and trails trials.   It
doesn't take a genius to realize there aren't very many Icelandic owners who
participate in endurance.   Methinks that says more about Icelandic owners than
it
does about Icelandic horses.   The ponies proved they could do it in America in
1976.   They proved it with Elisabeth in the following decade.   Remington,
Skjoldur and Mocha have proved they can do it since then.   Think of what they
might do if they had a better rider and someone with time to condition them to
their highest capabilities.

I post very little because I simply don't have the time to argue with you.
But I will never let someone, especially an Icelandic owner/breeder, tell
everyone what Icelandics can't do.   They are phenomenally capable.

John Parke
Solvang CA