I'm convinced there isn't a perfect solution.  That said, Holly had her first
bout of laminitis about 12 years ago, and the second one just a few months
later.   Once we got her meds adjusted, she had no more laminitis since.  She's
always out on pasture , except during and immediately after her acute attacks -
but only on really weedy, non-improved ones.   We can keep them up in
"starvation lots" and control every bite they get, but gosh, that's got to be
so mentally stressful for them. Horses are driven from inside to roam and
graze.  Our "weed grasses" that just come up in pastures that aren't planted
are mainly Bermuda and in the summer, crabgrass.  Thankfully, those tend to be
low-sugar.

The thing that really worries me about keeping horses in a state that they feel
starved and confined (even if they are adequately nourished) is that I've
heard, and it makes sense to me, that bored, hungry horse are more likely to
eat poisonous weeds or leaves that their instincts might otherwise tell them to
avoid.  Maybe that's not true, but it seems likely to me.

And remember, if the founder comes from Cushing's, controlling their food
intake may REDUCE the chance of founder, but the chance is still there, no
matter.  Sundance lost a LOT of weight the week before his laminitis, so I
certainly couldn't reduce his food intake.  He was such a hard-keeper his last
3-4 years that I made the decision to leave him on pasture in the spring. By
that time, he was having times where he seemed depressed, and that was awful
too.  He had his spring grass, and he didn't have another bout of laminitis.
He was, however, on Cyproheptadine for the Cushing's.   I'm a big believer in
using meds when we can, rather than trying to do ALL the treatment via diet
control.  Quality of life is as important to me as the quantity...

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
PM