>>>Yes, having a halter and leadrope on the horse in addition to the
>>>headstall and reins is yet another piece of equipment (why I generally
>>>use a halter-headstall), but it is so much kinder to the horse.

We used to simply leave a halter under the headstall, but I've gotten
spoiled to the halter/bridle/sidepull combinations.   I like the Harmony
bridle that Nicker's Saddlery (Sensation maker) makes and the Freedom
bridles from Moss Rock endurance.  Those are really nice for starting the
young ones - I can let them get used to carrying a bit, while still using
the sidepull reins, so that we aren't likely to hurt a young horse's mouth.
They also have a halter ring, if you want to lead them - I HATE leading a
horse by the reins if there is a bit in his mouth.  We do most of our ground
driving using the sidepull rings, so it's awfully nice not to have to change
head-gear if you change your mind about what you're going to do that
session.