On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 1:33 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> <chuckle>  I used to be a backpacker (when I was in college and too
> poor to have a horse) so I get a giggle out of doing the catered
> camping deal.  However, I have suffered and gone hungry out in the
> wilderness and, oddly enough, the catered camping is pretty neat.

We did some backpacking/camping in the around '88 to '92, but the food
did us in.  You hike all day, come into camp starving and then had to
eat those freeze dried meals (there are better choices these days).
I'll never forget hiking into Point Reyes campsite and then not being
able to get our little stove lit because of the wind.  We were
supposed to spend another night out but went back because we were too
hungry!  We progressed to a 35' used Blue Bird Motor coach with all
the bell's and whistles.   A great way to see the country and we could
take our dogs too!.  Sold it in 2000 after living in it full time for
6 mos on our property while our house was being built.  Now the pickup
and horse trailer sit in its spot in the garage.  Hard to go back to
tent camping after that.  We did do two nights camping in a tent with
Calvin in a portable electric coral.  Didn't get much sleep and I was
worried about being trampled in our tent by horses that might get
loose as we were at a competitive trail ride.

--
Anna
Southern Ohio