Bibi came to my place the summer of 1994 with her mother Stella and
friend Mura (now Laree's) and Mura's colt Joki and Tivar's mom Litla.
The babes were about a month old or less and they stayed until the
late fall. I had a nice pasture and knew nothing about Icelandics. I
was told not to touch the babies as they would become too pushy.
Stella then was very wary and did not like to be caught so I just
watched them. They belonged to my mechanics wife and I was in the
market for a horse. I though that I wanted any old horse just to ride.
I fell in love with Icelandics and bought Stella and Litla. For quite
a while I would follow Stella around the pasture until she stopped
running from me, I was told she did not like people much.

So I have no idea what Bibi was like. I do know that Stella and Litla
became good riding horses, both took care of whoever was on them,
especially Stella. With little kids, she would walk so carefully. I
was told she was too hot for people to ride. I got another older horse
after, another Joki, that was too "hot" too and panicked every time I
rode him at first. He could run in place and bolt too. He turned out
to be a love also and safe for kids. both just needed to trust.

Anyway Bibi stayed with her breeder with no real training until the
breeder moved and sold all her horses. Donna from the list helped find
homes for them. Mura and Princessa went to Rock Ranch, their first
Icelandic's I think. Bibi and Joki went to a family in the foothills
for the next 10 years or so. They sent Bibi south for training and she
came back  nervous and was supposedly untrainable or a renegade or
something.  I called them maybe 8 years ago to ask about her, and was
told that she ran off and the woman fell off and broke some bones. I
think she was not too experienced, both the woman and Bibi too.  They
said they would sell her to me for $6000. She then stayed with them, I
believe, in a corral after that.

They donated her and Joki in 2006 to Project Ride, a therapeutic
riding center. They have taken great care of her, regular vet,
wormings, farrier etc but she would never be a good horse for them.
She can be great then just "goes off" and they need a dead calm horse.
They tried to sell her since last summer and no one wanted a horse
that did not tolt. ( She has been seen very rarely tolting in the
pasture though I was told).  The only person that offered to buy her
was a "killer" buyer the barn manager luckily had heard of him. Last
summer when I talked to her, I asked that she call me if Bibi did not
find a good home and I had a place for her. Julie convinced the
Project Ride folks to give her to me  rather than sell her to that
man.

I think I need to donate some money to "Project Ride".

I do not know if I will keep her but somehow she has been in my mind
for 14 years and can you believe that I was taking Surtsey down to
Modesto for Mandy to ride her and this call came about Bibi and they
were only 1 hour apart. It was fate.

Jacki, I loved your story and will keep you updated, I have had her
only 1day so the "honeymoon" period is just starting. At this point
she feels to me like she is home but I need only 4 Icelandics not 6.
(I say that because the two older ones are here for life). What to
do??

Bibi is the most interesting color. sometimes grey, sometimes reddish
brown with a grey face. Her lower legs are black but her mane is not.
She has shed her long hairs that look very light, the few that are
left. I think she must have her Mom's cream gene. Stella used to be
black but has faded alot with the Cushings and the old age. She will
be 25 next month.

Ann