http://tinyurl.com/yvxyqc  Please cross post.

Why?  I'm curious as to why you say this, and why you care?  Have you ever
met him, or trained with him?  If not, why do you cross-post things like
this?

Michael Plumb, 8-time Olympian, is headquartered maybe an hour and a quarter
east of our farm.   I've heard some rather disturbing things about some the
horses that went through his barn and didn't make it as eventers.  I've only
personally met one, however.   Her story wasn't very nice, although she was
finally living well, quietly on a small farm, with a sensitive rider, when I
met her. Her owners got her just before the killer arrived to pick her up to
take her to slaughter.  I don't know for sure how typical her story was,
although I've heard there were many others.   I don't know about the others
firsthand.

I'm of the opinion that if we don't know the details about someone, maybe we
should just stay neutral, and not promote him/her.  I especially feel this
way if someone is going to promote himself or herself as a caring horseman.
I never said anything specifically to the list about meeting that horse
before, but seeing this request hit me wrong.  I haven't met Michael Plumb
personally.  I feel sure he'll make this Hall of Fame, simply because of his
record-setting 8 Olympic appearances.  It does not, however, make me forget
that mare.  Even if she were the only one, which I doubt, that was one mare
too many by my standards.

Eventing is a difficult, demanding, even rough, and controversial sport at
the international/Olympic level, and there has been serious talk at several
times of taking it out of the Olympics.  I specifically remember this talk
surfacing one year - if I remember correctly two, maybe three horses, died
at ONE event.  On the other hand, I've known some low-middle level eventers
who are good riders and caring horsemen - as with most equestrian sports,
the scandals and abuses seem to get worse, the higher the level of
competition.  It doesn't HAVE to be such a rough sport, but often it is.

Stories like this one are what have made me grow pretty anti-competitive
when it comes to contests involving horses.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
6:50 PM