Thanks Judy - this is a great topic.

I can't define softness or lightness for myself without first defining
contact. A lack of contact can be neither soft nor light - although I
will often ride on a long rein deliberately. I like to feel an elastic
butterfly connection to my horse - although I have been criticized for
sometimes having insufficient contact. - So I guess elasticity has to
be a component here. Sometimes if my horse needs support I will
increase the contact - the pressure on the reins in the rein/body/leg
circle - but this requires adjusting the rest so the horse knows  stop
right away or shorten your frame etc. This can still be soft in my
mind, but is maybe no longer as light.

But really, I think these are just adjectives to describe a contact
rather than definitions - these must mean different things to all of
us - especially considering our different riding styles.

Feel free to criticize - this is only an idea and I welcome feedback.
Laura.