Hello All,
Over the past few weeks, I have been working with Karen Borne and
Simone Mauhl of Borne Saddlery to talk about a custom saddle for
Blessi.  Several owners of hard-to-fit mountain horses have gotten
these saddles and loved them.  Karen gave me permission to share this
email from her on why she believes she cannot sell me a custom fit
saddle at this point in time.  I find this type of honesty and
cusomter focus very rare and refreshing.
"Pamela,

I spoke to Andy [Karen's master saddle maker in Scotland] at length
this morning and I wanted to go over some issues regarding saddle fit
as it relates to your Icelandic Horse.

Andy is currently working with a very large Icelandic club in
Scotland to develop a saddle that will perfectly fit this breed of
horse.  Also involved in this research and development is a local
Physiotherapist and, between them, they are finding that most
traditional english saddle trees are just not functional for these
horses.

In large part, the framework on the trees is too wide and lays on the
ribcage of the horse instead of the longissimus muscle that attaches
the ribcage to the spine.  This is causing a great deal of soreness
and even (in worse cases) bruising to the ribs themselves.  So far,
the findings are indicating that a narrower saddle tree is what is
needed and Andy is currently discussing this with the tree mfg. in
Wales.

Borné Saddlery is dedicated to truly fitting each and every horse
properly.  For this reason, I am writing to tell you that we just do
not have a saddle tree that is suitable for your Icelandic at this
time.  The saddles that were presented to you by Simone at the time
of your fitting simply will not work.

While it may seem like a waste of time, showing Andy photos like
yours only helps to further identify what will and will not work for
these horses and, speaking on behalf of all of us, I want to thank
you for helping us with the effort that is already underway.

I will keep you posted on how we are coming along with this new (and
very interesting) journey of fitting Icelandics and hopefully we can
help you in the very near future!

Should you have any questions or comments please feel free to contact
me directly (713) 504-6812.

Regards,

Karen Borne
Borné Saddlery