as for your question, my horses mineral appetites go up and down.  and
varies from horse to horse.  some will ignore and others will gobble
it like a pig when I leave it out free choice.  What I do...  I leave
out a salt block all the time, a brown one with minerals too.  Then I
do the free choice minerals in the feed buckets about once a week if
no rain.  (If it rains the rain melts it and its wasted).  I figure
this way, maybe I'm wrong, they can have the 24/7 salt block take care
of some needs so at least they donbt gobble down all those expensive
minerals just cause they need salt...  does that make sense?  probably
totally faulty logic which if it is someone on here is sure to point
out haha.

 But I have no grass at all, and my iceys and my donkey and one of my
walkers are such easy keepers I feed them almost nothing and worry
they arent getting nutrients.  So I make sure they get their loose
minerals especially.  I feed gro strong by alliance.  I am blessed
that I live close enough to drive to jeffers warehouse and pick things
up, otherwise could not pay shipping!  I see where minerals, like the
gro strong I use, etc, some of them have a kind expressley for animals
on alfalfa. My gro strong come in an alfalfa formula.  as for
magnesium, i have the worst memory, but saw something the other day
that it does other than calm...  but anyway, I gave it to my stonewall
for calming and he turned into a zombie haha.  he would stand out in
the pasture all alone (he is not a loner AT all) like he was thinking
"I know I should be FEELING something"... haha  but it sure didnt hurt
him and I plan to experiment with less, a half dose.  My Jaspar has
turned into a brat lately, feeling his oats as they say, becuase he
has not been ridden hardly at all and has been eating the most
fattening things known to horsedom.  he is fired up as they say.  But
him fired up just means a happy stepping pace :)  But I do see him
biting the others etc but he lost his herd leader spot when he lost
all his weight and now he feels better I think he is trying to get it
back.  he is jumpy and nervous on sweetfeed products and on hoof
supplement product with biotin.  I dont think protein is a big culprit
like people used to think!  Because mine eat strategy which is 14%
protein and they are all calm as can be.  Jaspar got froggy when I
started feeding him equine senior.  Molasses just sends him over the
edge or something haha.
Janice
--
even good horses have bad days sometimes.